It’s that time of the year again! Well, a season that many of us are excited about but some of us dread! Anyway, everyone should be ready to beat the heat especially this week, temperatures rise to all-time highs. The humidity is out of this world! We all better be prepared, or we’ll melt in this scorching summertime.
- For stuff to wear, all of us know that a pair of sunglasses gets us a long way! The brightness of the sun as we either walk or commute could definitely affect our vision. While I don’t personally always use sunnies, I tend to squint my eyes whenever I wait for the bus or when I’m walking. I know that’s not healthy, but I should buy me a pair now!
- Flip flops originate way way back to 4000 B.C (can you believe that), I bet they weren’t called flip flops then! But as time and civilizations went on, a lot of varieties have been created to suit people’s likings. The simpler the style the better, if you ask me.
- Staples like umbrellas, straw hats and caps are also needed to shade ourselves from the heat. A small and foldable umbrella that could fit in our bags are very convenient while for hats and caps, we could always opt for something light on our heads.
- Liquids! Oh boy, can you imagine the lineups at Starbucks and McDonalds whenever they have those cheap beverage promos? I bet you’ve been in one of those lines just waiting to quench your thirsts! I love me a good ol’ iced coffee, and a lot of people choose fountain drinks, I can’t say for certain that it’s necessarily healthy but it definitely gets us through! Most importantly, we should keep ourselves hydrated by taking in enough water! Nothing beats H20! Wait, I forget to put ice cream!!!
- Let’s talk about sunscreens! In choosing the best ones, we always rummage around the shelves in the supermarket and pharmacies, trying to understand what these numbers mean but I’ll tell you this, for more than 75% of people, the best thing out there is SPF 15. While personal preference is also a factor we consider, it’s better to be aware than to just buy a brand we have grown to love.
- Fans and air conditioners! I can’t stress enough how important these things are, because for about 3/4 of the year we don’t necessarily use them since the other seasons give us temperatures cold enough to not turn these appliances on but in the summertime, we tend to realize the importance of fans and air cons. For countries that don’t experience weather, these hardware are being used everyday and people are thankful for them.
- When you find yourself bored and don’t feel like going out as you predict sweat is going to instantly come out of your body, you can always rely on a good book to get you through the day. I don’t always read books, but I consume my free time watching movies and writing, same should go for everybody, you need to waste your time creatively, doing what you love.
So there you have it! Anything else you feel that could be added to this list, let me know! Have a fun summer everybody!
“I mean I don’t consider myself an A-list looking guy”
That line was ridiculously bad. I can’t believe I waited so long, and with great hopes for this awful movie. I took my Korean friend to see this so he could learn more on how to converse in English, now I’m thinking it’s a super fail.
Plot: Inspired by actual events, a group of fame-obsessed teenagers, Rebecca (the ringleader), Marc, Nicki, Sam and Chloe, known as the Bling Ring, use the Internet to track celebrities’ whereabouts in order to rob their homes. Victims included Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Megan Fox, Rachel Bilson, Audrina Patridge, Orlando Bloom and Miranda Kerr.
I mean it’s a decent inside look to what really went down during those Hollywood burglaries but that was all there is to it. Was it actually supposed to have that impact on viewers? The one where you say “huh?” after you saw the movie. Sofia Coppola baffles me: maybe I’m not a fan of her film-making? I liked Somewhere though. Unlikable characters (but Emma Watson’s Nicolette Ramirez is hilarious, and I still love her), one-liners that will certainly make your eyes roll twice, and a terribly slow pacing is what you’re gonna get. I really can’t believe how shallow I am. Let me leave you with a much better line, these may not be exact to what Leslie Mann’s character said, but it’s somewhere along:
“We wind up being the average of the people we surround ourselves with”
Spring is coming. Don’t you just feel cheery and ecstatic to get rid of the black jackets you’ve been donning all winter? It’s about time to get into bright and non-neutral outfits. This set includes:
VANS lace up shoes / FOSSIL jewelry / Acne Oahu stripe shirt / RODA Oblong scarf /SUNSPEL Polka Dot Pocket Crew T-Shirt/ Criminal Damage Men’s Grey Ish Jogger Elasticated Cuff Jeans / 1069 in Cloud White
*I know for a fact I won’t be able to afford even 2 of these pieces. Because I’m thrifty like that. I find my way around sales and bargains, and it works for me, my last shopping trip was last December. Yes. I think I was able to realize that buying new clothes often doesn’t really make sense to me anymore, that more important things are supposed to be saved for, and you could help people with the money. This year, I’m growing fond of being able to just work with what I’ve got, and mixing and matching.
And just like that, the Awards season 2013 is over. This certainly has been a year of great films (well I mean last year is, and they were given recognition this year), and I will say, that I became an Oscar-GG-SAG-Grammys junkie after witnessing all of them this 2013. Anyway, let’s recap what happened last night. Bullet form. My opinions.
- The news/idea that Seth Macfarlane hosting this year is better than Seth Macfarlane actually hosting. It was very strange for me. His jokes were not right, there were moments where he couldn’t speak because he was laughing at his own jokes (i.e the Django Unchained segue to Rihanna & Chris Brown’s relationship, where he got booed, that’s when I knew I was over it)
- Opening sequence: quite alright. William Shatner was a delight. Charlize Theron & Channing Tatum dancing was amazing. Daniel Radcliffe & Joseph Gordon-Levitt singing with Seth was bearable. The song with the choir was quite good. It was a long intro.
- Christoph Waltz won for BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR. Just found out it’s his 2nd win in three years. That’s amazing.
- Paul Rudd & Melissa McCarthy: Love them both. Their presenting was awkward though! I still love them.
- The 5 guys from Avengers hit the stage to present. BADASS.
- The singing part was definitely enjoyable. Loved the Les Mis cast, loved J.Hud too! Adele also won! 3rd time hitting the stage for, she did it on the Golden Globes too, and the Grammys. I love her! This year the Oscars had a theme called MUSIC IN FILM, which was definitely highlighted throughout the show. I give them props for that.
- I was kind of bored when some awards were presented, because I wish the Academy would get rid of some of these awards and just give them in private or something, or maybe another award for the technical department. That’s just me.
- The fashion. My best dressed actresses were: JESSICA CHASTAIN, JANE FONDA, KERRY WASHINGTON, SALLY FIELD & NAOMI WATTS. Won’t discuss the worst ones.
- ANNE HATHAWAY wins BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS. It was expected. In my head I wished SALLY FIELD was gonna bag it, because she’s awesome (may I mention she made out with Seth MacFarlane in the opening bit?). Anne was very graceful yet I knew she was gonna say all the things on her speech, loved that short bit about her husband though.
- Barbra Streisand, Shirley Bassey & Norah Jones all hit the stage. One for the IN MEMORIAM segment to honor late greats, then one for the BOND tribute, then a TED theme song. Fabulous women.
- Seth’s jokes got better as it also did get shorter because they were cramping everything up to finish on time.
- CHARLIZE THERON & DUSTIN HOFFMAN. She’s like a goddess. So gorgeous.
- JENNIFER ANISTON & CHANNING TATUM. Love love love.
- DANIEL RADCLIFFE & KRISTEN STEWART. K-Stew hopping and trying to walk properly. I wish she recovers soon.
- JENNIFER GARNER & JESSICA CHASTAIN. Gorgeous women.
- LIFE OF PI bagging awards! I have to see it now. Ang Lee proves he’s an amazing director.
- JEAN DUJARDIN presented the Best Actress Award to…JENNIFER LAWRENCE. She actually tumbled on the flight of steps. I felt bad for her! But then she kept her composure. I was actually shocked as I expected EMMANUELLE RIVA or CHASTAIN or even NAOMI. Sorry.
- MERYL STREEP presented the Best Actor award to…DANIEL DAY LEWIS. Without even reading the envelope. It was expected because he is a great actor. His speech was incredible, the humor made sense. He then said the award is for his mom. Lovely.
- JACK NICHOLSON presented the BEST FILM with MICHELLE OBAMA (how random). It went to ARGO! I love it, because I was expecting it. Ben definitely deserved it. He choked up when he said his speech. It was very endearing.
That’s the 411 about last night’s Oscars.
I know, my hiatus has been far too long (not that I expect people to actually tell me to blog again). But I gotta tell you, New York was so much fun! It’s everything I expected it to be: dirty, busy, loud, very urban & of course, amazing. Here are some pictures!
My uncle lives in the Lower East Side so that’s when we stayed for almost a week! It was nothing short of my expectations. I’m a guy who loves to walk around a place I’ve never been before & just taking everything in, buying items that I find amusing, taking photos along the way & posting them to Instagram (you know it). It’s a bit cold by this time of year so probably when we come back later this year we’d be having twice the fun!
So there you go folks! I’d like to say one thing before I end this, I would LOVE to live here if I don’t make it back to Manila. It’s very ideal yet kind of expensive but you can almost do anything in New York, You know that song Empire State of Mind? This adventure really proved that it is INDEED the concrete jungle where dreams are made of, there’s NOTHING you can’t do. Til the next awesome trip!
Aside from wanting to spend the Holidays in Manila, my hometown because I feel like the best Christmas is spent in the Philippines, and also wanting love, peace of mind and happiness, I actually invest myself in fashion & I would love to have these things as presents.
- Topman printed sweatshirt
- Vans authentic leopard print kicks
- Paul Smith Jeans knapsack
- Piperlime Original Penguin smoking blazer
- Polaroid camera!
Would you be so kind to give me at least 3 of these? You know I’m kidding because if I really want something I will work hard for it.