The Toronto Star: “The B.C. Coroner’s Service says Canadian actor Cory Monteith was killed by an overdose of heroin and alcohol.”
The said statement was announced this afternoon following the autopsy and investigation about Glee actor Cory Monteith’s untimely passing. Staff at Vancouver’s Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel found his body around noon Saturday after he missed his checkout time.
What I really feel about this whole situation is that one man, with whom the public has grown to love over the past 4 years is now gone. Glee was a turning point in Cory Monteith’s young career and he definitely melted hearts and swooned girls from all over the world by being in such a great Tv show. I was shocked myself when I found out about his passing Sunday morning and I screamed myself “NO NO NO” then started reading more about it on twitter and the news articles, and unfortunately believed it.
The thing I loved about Cory Monteith is that he’s as genuine as he is very nice and hilarious. That’s something in general to all the fans who love him as well, but his interviews are what stood out to me. He would encourage everybody to be themselves, and follow their dreams. He was never hesitant to open up about his drug problem, and that he needed help. Hats off to him when he decided to check into rehab a few months ago, even though I found that completely baffling. I never expected someone like him to have such weight on his shoulders especially with his image. A while ago I was reading some more tweets about him and found out that co-stars Dianna Agron and Naya Rivera fell to the ground and collapsed hysterically after hearing the news. I couldn’t imagine the pain his family is going through, also his girlfriend Lea Michele and his friends. The outpouring of love and support throughout social media was flowing, everyone was heartbroken. It’s a tremendous loss to young Hollywood. I would also like to write about Talia Castellano, who died this morning as well. Such a fighter and a sweet little girl. Spread your wings and fly child, you are now free. Rest in peace Cory & Talia. We love you.
And just like that, the Awards season 2013 is over. This certainly has been a year of great films (well I mean last year is, and they were given recognition this year), and I will say, that I became an Oscar-GG-SAG-Grammys junkie after witnessing all of them this 2013. Anyway, let’s recap what happened last night. Bullet form. My opinions.
- The news/idea that Seth Macfarlane hosting this year is better than Seth Macfarlane actually hosting. It was very strange for me. His jokes were not right, there were moments where he couldn’t speak because he was laughing at his own jokes (i.e the Django Unchained segue to Rihanna & Chris Brown’s relationship, where he got booed, that’s when I knew I was over it)
- Opening sequence: quite alright. William Shatner was a delight. Charlize Theron & Channing Tatum dancing was amazing. Daniel Radcliffe & Joseph Gordon-Levitt singing with Seth was bearable. The song with the choir was quite good. It was a long intro.
- Christoph Waltz won for BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR. Just found out it’s his 2nd win in three years. That’s amazing.
- Paul Rudd & Melissa McCarthy: Love them both. Their presenting was awkward though! I still love them.
- The 5 guys from Avengers hit the stage to present. BADASS.
- The singing part was definitely enjoyable. Loved the Les Mis cast, loved J.Hud too! Adele also won! 3rd time hitting the stage for, she did it on the Golden Globes too, and the Grammys. I love her! This year the Oscars had a theme called MUSIC IN FILM, which was definitely highlighted throughout the show. I give them props for that.
- I was kind of bored when some awards were presented, because I wish the Academy would get rid of some of these awards and just give them in private or something, or maybe another award for the technical department. That’s just me.
- The fashion. My best dressed actresses were: JESSICA CHASTAIN, JANE FONDA, KERRY WASHINGTON, SALLY FIELD & NAOMI WATTS. Won’t discuss the worst ones.
- ANNE HATHAWAY wins BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS. It was expected. In my head I wished SALLY FIELD was gonna bag it, because she’s awesome (may I mention she made out with Seth MacFarlane in the opening bit?). Anne was very graceful yet I knew she was gonna say all the things on her speech, loved that short bit about her husband though.
- Barbra Streisand, Shirley Bassey & Norah Jones all hit the stage. One for the IN MEMORIAM segment to honor late greats, then one for the BOND tribute, then a TED theme song. Fabulous women.
- Seth’s jokes got better as it also did get shorter because they were cramping everything up to finish on time.
- CHARLIZE THERON & DUSTIN HOFFMAN. She’s like a goddess. So gorgeous.
- JENNIFER ANISTON & CHANNING TATUM. Love love love.
- DANIEL RADCLIFFE & KRISTEN STEWART. K-Stew hopping and trying to walk properly. I wish she recovers soon.
- JENNIFER GARNER & JESSICA CHASTAIN. Gorgeous women.
- LIFE OF PI bagging awards! I have to see it now. Ang Lee proves he’s an amazing director.
- JEAN DUJARDIN presented the Best Actress Award to…JENNIFER LAWRENCE. She actually tumbled on the flight of steps. I felt bad for her! But then she kept her composure. I was actually shocked as I expected EMMANUELLE RIVA or CHASTAIN or even NAOMI. Sorry.
- MERYL STREEP presented the Best Actor award to…DANIEL DAY LEWIS. Without even reading the envelope. It was expected because he is a great actor. His speech was incredible, the humor made sense. He then said the award is for his mom. Lovely.
- JACK NICHOLSON presented the BEST FILM with MICHELLE OBAMA (how random). It went to ARGO! I love it, because I was expecting it. Ben definitely deserved it. He choked up when he said his speech. It was very endearing.
That’s the 411 about last night’s Oscars.
So last night’s Glee was definitely stripped down, most likely literally in some parts & I absolutely enjoyed every bit of it. Let’s narrow it down to the good parts:
- The song list was one of the best they’ve covered in recent history. Lea Michele’s “Torn” with her old self & new, more confident present day self having a duet: it was perfection. Jacob Artist’s “Let Me Love You” was surprisingly likeable. The gang’s “This Is The New Year” is a favorite too while “Love Song” by the three ever-so-amazing bad bitches Rachel, Quinn & Santana was hands down my ultimate dream cover that came true & they couldn’t have a much more perfect scene to align the song with.
- Could we talk about how hot & sexy this cast is? Except for the you-know-who’s, but Sam, Ryder, Jake, Brittany, Rachel, Brody & my Blaine. For some parts, it came off like they were trying to be self-indulgent, I mean what;s the point of them feeling like losers and going to a way different mindset just for this episode?
- Sam & Blaine= BLAM is growing on me. I have a feeling they’ll kiss.
- Props to Rachel’s character finally getting the hang of Miss Independent in NYC plot.
- Finn is getting thinner y’all. Glad to see Quinn & Santana having Rachel’s best interest at heart too. All in all, this will go down as one of my favorites in season 4! I love it.
I already have a copy of this episode once I feel the itch to re-watch!
It took me a while to write my top picks for TV because basically I gave up on some shows and I was looking for new ones to get obsessed about. I found 3 amazing shows.
*HBO’s Girls: Now this show is f***** amazing. I can’t even put it into words. SERIOUSLY. It’s generally a show about 4 girls in New York trying to balance life, love & careers. My mind went to Sex & The City for a second but this is the young adult version I guess? It’s written by the amazing Lena Dunham & it already won multiple awards on the Golden Globes (beating out Modern Family & Glee, it was about time!). IT’S CRAZY GOOD. The characters are offbeat in a way that you still root for them to end up happy. My favorite’s gotta be Marnie (played by the gorgeous Allison Williams), and Soshana comes to a close second. Hannah is the main girl but we already know her story & that she’s a superhero while Jessa is someone I have to still like, and I know I’ll get there. The fact that I was in New York and I saw some ads for this show made me a little interested, and since I started watching it, you can say I’m hooked!
*Portlandia: I cannot say enough how weird this show is. It’s basically a mixed bag of skits of how people live their lives in a particular city (YES, PORTLAND, OREGON). It stars the duo of Fred Armisen & Carrie Brownstein, whom I find really quirky and absolutely hilarious. I started watching while I was in New York too, and it did made me a little more fascinated because I found it weirdly funny! The cameos in this show are countless, we see Sarah Mclachlan, Kristen Wiig, Jeff Goldblum, and a lot more! The skits are ridiculously funny & while people will find this strange, I think it’s a hidden gem that deserves more viewers. Thanks Maxine for recommending me this absolutely riotous and quirky show!
*Deception: Of course I have to add a crime drama. It’s just mandatory. This show’s pilot premiered last year & I am very much delighted that Meagan Good (who I think is one of the most gorgeous actresses ever) is the lead in this show. I have never seen an episode of Revenge, but people say this is somehow a ripoff from that show. I read Revenge’s premise, and this show I tell you is NOTHING like it. The only thing similar is the rich family that is the center of all of what’s going on. Anyway, there are LOTS of eye candy, whether it be a girl or guy, they’re just beautiful, and yes I mean BEAUTIFUL people. The little twist that happened in episode 2 was not something I was expecting, and it shook me! I knew right then that I’m gonna stick around til the end! Meagan Good is in the good because of this show.